Crushing heartbreak seared through my thoughts, impacting my spirit, bending me over with despair. Tears streamed with reckless abandon saturating the open pages of my Bible as I cried out to the One who loves me.
He loves me through thick and thin with more love than I can possibly imagine in my wildest dreams.
He loves us.
Through prayerful sobs I cast my thoughts on the Lord, “I can’t bear the heartache of my family members! I can’t bear it. It’s too much … ”
I crumpled into another ugly cry.
Then He spoke.
Nan, You don’t have to bear it. I bore it on the cross when I died for you. I am your Burden-Bearer. Cast your care on Me. Throw it at me, if you must, but let the burden go. It’s mine to carry, not yours.
“I bore it on the cross when I died for you … “
That stopped me in my tracks.
Because it was so delicate, so merciful, and so true.
The Lord Himself knew this heartbreak before it ever happened. He knows my difficult places and the broken places of those I love. He knows, and He cares!
And He wants me to let it go because it’s too much for me.
He wants you to let go of your burdens too.
I closed my eyes and imagined the Lord securing His strong hands around each and every burden that has mushroomed this week into unBEARable proportions, and watched as He lifted them from my shoulders.
I reached out to grab a tiny piece that I found myself clinging to. He looked at me as only He can, and I reluctantly let that one go too — completely.
When I thought back to that image — the image of me grabbing at the corner of that burden trying to hang onto it, the image shifted. In my mind’s eye, the corner I grabbed became the hem of His garment.
I saw myself clinging to the hem of His garment — His love. His promises. His strength. Clinging, knowing that He recognized my heart and my need, and knowing that He wants me to stop carrying these burdens that are way too heavy for me to bear.
Dear One, He wants you to let your burdens completely go too — surrendering them into His capable hands and His compassionate heart.
- Give your burdens to the Lord,
and he will take care of you.
He will not permit the godly to slip and fall. ~ Psalm 55:22, NLT
- For I hold you by your right hand—
I, the Lord your God.
And I say to you,
‘Don’t be afraid. I am here to help you. ~ Isaiah 41:13, NLT
- That is why I tell you not to worry about everyday life—whether you have enough food and drink, or enough clothes to wear. Isn’t life more than food, and your body more than clothing? ~ Matthew 6:25, NLT
- Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. ~ Matthew 11:28-29, NLT
- Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus. ~ Philippians 4:6-7, NLT
- Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you. ~ 1 Peter 5:7, NLT
He is our Burden-Bearer, Promise Keeper, Way-Maker.
He is the Lord, our God who will be faithful to help us in our darkest moments, lifting the burdens that weigh us down.
Cling to the hem of His garment.
He is passing by.